What if… A War Movie Related Distraction for Hot Summer Evenings

It’s hot and sultry outside and inside it isn’t much better. A little game might come in as a welcome distraction. I’ll ask a few questions which you may or may not answer. If you want to read my answers, you will find them after the questions.

4. What if you could wake up in a war movie, which one would you want to experience?

a) You can’t be harmed

b) You can be harmed

5. What if there would be no more new war movies, would you mind?

6. What if you could decide about a remake, which movie would you choose?

1. Black Hawk Down. There aren’t many better anti-war films out there and hardly any that will give you an idea of what combat might be like.

2. I really have a thing for the Napoleonic Wars and would probably make one of that period.

3. Nicolas Cage in Windtalkers. Maybe it would always be a shitty movie but it would certainly be much better without him.

4.a) Intimate Enemies but I don’t want to elaborate why.

4.b) Hope and Glory. I’m not romanticizing the Blitz but it’s a movie that has something very nostalgic.

5. No, I guess not. There are so many good movies out there and if there were no new ones, maybe it would mean that we do not have any wars anymore.

6. I’m not keen on remakes but if I really had to choose maybe The Longest Day as it would be a great opportunity for an all-star cast and a little bit of cutting would do it no harm.

7. Sgt. Elias (Platoon). Just love that character.

8. Infantry combat. It is the most harrowing.

9. One of the novels of Heinrich Böll, a post-war novel.

10. Yes, please, let me change We Were Soldiers. No more religious crap from the man with the double standard.

Advertisements

16 thoughts on “What if… A War Movie Related Distraction for Hot Summer Evenings

1. WarMovieBlog says:

Mind if I borrow this? 😉 I’ll have to think on some of these for a while, though….

2. the war movie buff says:

I did mine before I read your responses. That’s why I misunderstood #4. Please edit out the first list.

1. What if all of the war movies would have to be destroyed but you could keep one, which one would you choose? The Great Escape

2. What if you could choose to make a war movie, which war would you choose for your film? Napoleonic

3. What if you could replace one actor in a war movie, which actor in which movie would you replace? Mel Gibson in Braveheart

a) You can’t be harmed – Gettysburg

b) You can be harmed – Band of Brothers

5. What if there would be no more new war movies, would you mind? Yes!

6. What if you could decide about a remake, which movie would you choose? Battle of the Bulge

7. What if you could meet one war movie character in real life, who would you want to meet? Sgt. Elias Grodin from Platoon

8. What if there was only one sub-genre of war movies, which one would you prefer? combat films

9. What if you could have one book turned into a war movie, which one would you like to see on screen? Fallen Angels

10. What if you could change one war movie, which one would you change and what would you change? Cross of Iron – Steiner should have killed Stransky

• I got that when reading it. It was a bit miselading, sorry. Amazing, we have a few similar answers. You are more courageous than me (4b!). I still think The Great Escape isn’t a proper war movie but I know you like it and, yes, it is a classic. Mel Gibson in Braveheart- soo true.

• the war movie buff says:

1. I grew up with that movie, so its personal to me. I almost chose Glory.
        2. I am shocked we agreed on that. I am specifically referring to naval combat. I love the possible dynamics on board a wooden warship. We could use a sequel to Master and Commander or a movie about the U.S.S. Constitution.
        3. That historical atrocity was partly obscene because it got the Gibson “touch”. Your choice is excellent.
        4. a. I’ve been to the battlefield three times. How awesome would it be to visit it and roam around during the battle?
        b. I like the bonding and would risk my life to go through that experience. Plus to be led by Dick Winters and pal around with the others..
        5. You can not have enough war movies and based on my post on upcoming movies, I would hate to not get to see some of those.
        6. The Longest Day is a great movie that could be outstanding if remade (but you could not get a cast like that today). The Battle of the Bulge was a misfire and inaccurate so it needs it more.
        7. Not to smoke pot with him, I admire his leadership and humanity. Plus I could warn him not to trust Barnes.
        8. That one is obvious for me, but you surprised me with your choice. Of course, #1 might have given it away.
        9. FA is my favorite young adult war novel. We need a Vietnam War movie for teenage boys.
        10. I love your choice. I was surprised as I reviewed a ton of war movies that there were few that I saw a need to change.

• 1. I almost chose Platoon. In any casse, since it’s my preferred genre it had to be infantry combat.
        2. I don’t know why you would be shocked? I’d like one that combines naval and land combat.
        3. I chose Windtalkers because I think it was one of the movies that disappointed me the most and he is isufferable in it.
        4. I can see that from your perspective. I think the risk to get harmed would be equally high in Gettysburg and Band of Brothers but the bonding factor was certainly higher in BoB.
        5. We agree to disagree.
        6. I will need to watch it and I thought there was a remake, no?
        7. Does he smoke pot as well? I didn’t notice it. Maybe they all did. I agree on the humanity. He is my favourite war movie character, I even did a post on it.
        8. Exactly
        9. I’m not familiar with it. I trust you.
        10. I liked We Were Soldiers but think it is problematic for the reason I mentioned and for another one that I want to write about one of these days..

3. the war movie buff says:

I got a chill when I read your #7. What are the chances of that? Our #6 are also very similar. I wish I would have thought of #10, but for the additional reason of the terribly inaccurate closing scene of slaughtering the bad guys.

• I was very surprised about your answer 7. I don’t know who I would have thought you’d pick but not him, I thought you would have chose one of those very strategic ones or maybe someone out of Band of Brothers. Agree, 6 is similar (and I haven’t watched, it yet, if I had maybe I would have chosen it as well).

4. the war movie buff says:

3. The Navajo Code Talkers deserved so much better. However, the director John Woo deserves more criticism than Cage. That is one terrible movie.
    4. Your chances of being harmed at Gettysburg were much higher than parachuting into Normandy.
    6. There have been other movies set in the Battle of the Bulge, most notably Battleground (which also could be remade btw) and A Midnight Clear.
    7. When Taylor goes into the bunker to first bond with the “heads”, they are all toking and Elias blows smoke into Taylor by way of a shotgun barrel. “Is this your first time? Well then for you the worm has definitely turned, man.”
    9. I would not have expected you to have heard of it. How about The Black Flower?
    10. A movie that is extremely accurate, except when it painfully isn’t.

• I agree on Windtalkers. That’s why I was so disappointed. It sounded like a great story. There is more to dislike than Cage. The explosions look tacky and almost like a parody.
      I thought that it might have been extremely dangerous to wake up on the battlefield of Gettysburg.
      I didn’t remember that scene in Platoon.
      I ordered Black Flower and it arrived yesterday! Funny that you should mention it.
      We Were Soldiers had the potential for being one of the top 10 best of all time if….

5. Novroz says:

I haven’t been to this blog for few months…I kinda miss it 🙂

Those are interesting questions, I would love to answer it to 🙂 . I enjoy reading your answers.
    Okay…let’s start. (I haven’t watched as many war movies as you 😉 )
    1. Saving Private Ryan. I have so much love for this movie.
    2. Badar War. The first war where my Prophet was surrounded by more than a thousand Quraisy army.
    3. T.O.P in 71 into the fire. I just think his face is too annoying
    4. A
    5. No problemo
    6. No remake please…EVER
    7. Tom Hank’s character in SPR
    8. —
    9. —
    10. Kingdom of Heaven, please stick to the real history where Salahudin actually has less army when he surrounded Jerusalem

• I’m not surprised by your answers knowing how much you like Saving Private Ryan and I guess, to a large part, you like it because of Tom Hanks. I agree, he plays a great character.
      No. 2 is a surprise because I don’t know the war. I don’t think there is a movie about it?
      You got a point with No. 3
      I personally think that Kingdom of Heaven would have needed a lot more chnaging to be a good movie. I realy didn’t like it but agree that it took to many historical liberties as well.

6. Novroz says:

I don’t know what’s wrong with my mobile. Can you please fix the repeated words in my previous comment? thx my previous comment? thx